On Saturday October 30th the club hosted an introduction to skeet for new and current members. We had several members attend and it proved to be helpful with instruction and tips to those that participated to improve their skeet shooting skills/scores. The club plans to continue to host similar events for all of our shooting venue starting in the spring of next year.
One of the skeet lights is not working due to a failed electrical part. The part is on order and will be replaced when received. Shooting is still permitted under the light as the degradation of the lighting is minimally affected. Also, the trap lights will be adjusted at the same time that the skeet light is repaired.
It is getting that time of the year when the handgun range heater can be turned on. The heater control is on a timer switch located on the back wall next to the thermostat. To turn it on, set the timer for 10 minutes or more. DO NOT attempt to adjust the temperature setting. The heater will automatically turn off when the timer counts down to zero minutes
Rockford Country Club is looking for a part-time rangemaster for its Skeet & Trap Club, which is open October-March. Work hours are 8 a.m. to Noon Saturdays and Sundays, with the exception of the occasional special event. Responsibilities include but are not limited to: Opening and closing the skeet and trap facility, logging members rounds, maintaining a safe shooting environment, answering member questions and concerns, and performing light general maintenance such as loading target machines. Inquire with Wendy Newman, controller at RCC. Her contact information is email@example.com or call her at 815-968-9881
As previously stated, Wi-Fi at the club has been ordered and Comcast is in the process of completing work to run a cable to the club house. Work should be completed in the next few weeks.
WINTER SHOOT RULES
The following winter shooting rules are affective immediately:
- Trap and skeet fields and sidewalks are to be cleared of snow before shooting. Shovels are outside of the club house and in the storage barn. The snow blower is available for use and is located in the storage barn. Do not shoot on fields that have not been cleared of snow. Doing so will compact the snow and make it difficult to remove. It is everyone’s job to pitch in to remove snow from the sidewalks and shooting fields.
- As always, gun cases are not permitted in the club house. Guns will be permitted, but it is strongly suggested that they only be kept inside if it is raining or snowing
If anyone is interested in getting certified for the handgun range, please contact Milt Schwanke at
815-988-2278, George Ketter at 815-631-9366, Caleb Davis at 815-243-1483, or Dan Gengo at 815-572-1423. You will need to bring a handgun, ammo, eye and ear protection and a $25.00 annual fee.
- Rebuild trap houses – approved
- Remove clay targets on skeet fields – completed
- Pistol range heaters – Completed
- Gravel for the pistol range/5-Stand road – in process
- Club internet – in process
- Repair leak in club house roof – completed
- Move patterning board – spring 2023
2022 Events – all events have been completed
Remember gun safety is our number 1 priority.
Rockford Skeet Club Mission Statement
The Rockford Skeet Club’s mission is to promote clay target shooting and complementary shooting sports. The objectives are to promote those characteristics of honesty, good fellowship, self-discipline, team-play, and self-reliance which are the essentials of good sportsmanship. It is the duty of all members to contribute to the wellbeing, to protect, to grow, and to enhance the club and its membership.
President, Rockford Skeet Club